The Legend of the magic knives
Video Item Preview
Share or Embed This Item
The Legend of the magic knives
- Publication date
- 16mm Film, Educational Film, Indian wood-carving, Indians of North America, Folklore, Indians of North America, Indians of North America, Folklore
- Encyclopedia Britannica Educational Corporation - EBEC 310 South Michigan Ave Chicago IL 60604 USA (800)554-9862 (312)347-7000
- Digitizing sponsor
- Internet Archive
- Internet Archive
Journeys to the place where totem poles began and where today that special art endures, passed on from generation to generation. Blends actual Indian music with authentic carved masks and totem figures to present the Legend of the magic knives
Intermediate/Elementary through senior high
Portrays an ancient Indian legend in the setting of a totem village in the Pacific Northwest. Deals with an old chief who realizes that the carvings of an apprentice are superior to his and decides to knife him.
- 2015-01-30 21:10:36
- Oh. Yeah yeah. Yeah yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. I thousand miles of deep in wheeler. Where did I. State the mountain. Mark the coast where the Pacific meets the foreign The British Columbia and Alaska. Along these wooded shores both see in the Far East have given the north west coast Indian. All he needed to hunt and prosper. Living as we did so close to nature he came to imagine that the creatures are with the in the forest had supernatural powers. And he made the new symbols of his legends. The Indians of the Northwest expressed their creative urge by erecting monuments keeping records. And shaping symbol of power and prestige. For having had no writing they recorded their past and their beliefs in cedar. That's the car of totem poles records for a try. I'm a clan of family important X. events. Or honors for an individual. In fact they are a form of public document. The figures Cardona totem pole are symbolic clues that recall in the indians memory the legends and events of the past. Symbols differ from tribe to tribe and therefore there are many versions of the more popular legends. To understand the symbols one must first learn about the local mythology and the social structure of the tribe. In this way the Indians of the northwest coast created one of the world's most unique art forms. The totem pole. And the tradition of carving handed down from one generation to the next. Continues today. The carvers knives are his most valued possession. For he makes his own tools and decorate the handles with intricate symbols of spirits of his ancestors. With his knives the carver juggle with keeps alive the stories of his people. Stories like the legend of the Magic Knives. At his night is bite into the WOULD NEVER freshly human seed or he is guided by memories of time beyond history. In those days long ago his people were led by a Proud to be the way in his time was also a great car for. His apprentice was going to Alice just learning to use his neither. In this. Legend. Long ago. Mother Earth was still under a spell of sleep. The world was lost in darkness. Neither sun or moon shone on the earth. Among all the people in those days of darkness. Nothing was done. But good dollars worked hard. The achieve watched over his people and measured their skill. He chose good dollars to be is a print. He taught could tell us all he knew about the use of night and crass discarding. They worked well together. But in time dollars began to feel overpowered by the old chief. He wanted to try carving in his own way. One day under buried the guardian of his clan. Appeared to watch good Alice. I. Wish you were a human being said go Dallas for then you might help me in my work. Thunderbird opened his beak and replied I am a human being too. And I will help you and you will. Soon grow dollars was using his knives with such skill that is carvings far surpassed those of the old beauty and crash. She became indecently young curve his work into this growing popularity. He was sure that there was magic power in Dallas is knives. Greedy for the knives he thought possessed of magic of their own the old chief took them from their hiding place. Not far away was was sense by Thunderbird to Dallas is too. The OED chief turned to leave. Will stepped across is that quickly the O.T. hurled a knife striking Wolf in the heart but the old chief felt the pain in his own heart and sank to the ground. Feeling life leave from him. Old man said Will for long you have protected your people well. But today with the knives you invade you have killed your own spirit the spirit of the Guardian you must leave you of people you must assume another form. What would you like to be. A big mountain. Asked will. Know who for a mountain might break apart. Would you like to be a large solid rock ask to know replied the old chief. That would not be much better than the Mountain High might wear away. Then said Wolf would you like to be a river. Where every kind of fish would swim upstream and you would flow down to the sea forever. All right said the old Chief let me be a river I will flow forever. There will be no end of me. Then said will be a river. So the old chief became a river flowing past the village of his people and pouring in. Leslie into the sea. Or in those days long ago. Neither the Indians know the and a moose were subject to death. They live for ever. And there was a rule month the earth for everyone. The legend of the Magic Knives has come down through generations. With his own eyes Jack away Dez recorded in cedar. At the top of the pole in a protective manner stands fund a bird the guardian of course Alice beneath him is Wolf. The spirit of the chief. Below Wolf is Eagle who help fund the bird in his tasks. Can. Can pass the totem village the river still flows endlessly into the sea. The old chief lives on forever. Yeah we. Are.
- Run time
- Internet Archive HTML5 Uploader 1.6.1
- Lasergraphics ScanStation
- Worldcat (source edition)
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write a review.
IN COLLECTIONSEducational Films Ephemeral Films
Uploaded by scampbell3 on